Forums  ›  General Discussion  ›  JW Support & Religous Discussion - NO PREACHING

Freedom?

Leaving the truth is supposed to mean Im on my way to freedom?  Freedom?  I just cant get my head around that.  I didn't view the truth as some kind of confinement.  There was never anything in the world I wanted.  I had everything I wanted in the truth.  Good friends, family and a moral code that helped me become a better person.  I'm not perfect, by any stretch of the imagination.  But I always worked on trying become a decent human being.

Doctrinal lies are the main reason why Ive left the 'truth'.   Im sure there are many others like me.

Did you view the 'truth' as spiritually shackling you from what you really wanted to do?  What kind of freedom have you now got,  that you didn't have before?  What do you do with your freedom?  Are you truly happy?

My parents would likely say the same thing, that they have everything they want on the inside.

But there are many of us who didn't get to spend weekends partying like the other kids, or who didn't get to play sports at school, or who had to spend so much time on spiritual things (that we now know are all lies) that we didn't get to do what other kids did because they were bad association, and the loss of a higher education.

If the JWs and Bible were right and this would all lead to a new system someday so we just had to endure it, then yes, it would be worth it. But once you realize it's not, that is going to have a huge impact on your your way of life, and on your sense of right and wrong...but not in a bad way.

"If people are good only because they fear punishment, and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed." - Albert Einstein

"Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion." - Steven Weinberg

The real truth will stand up to any scrutiny.

Things like partying, smoking, etc never interested me.  They still dont.  My morals stand regrdless of the truth as an active force in my life. 

But I do understand the higher education thing.  Maybe thats something I could focus on.  I feel like I need something.  I just dont know what it is. 

So now you can go out party etc...do you feel happier?  Or are you resentful? 

Things like partying, smoking, etc never interested me.  They still dont.  My morals stand regrdless of the truth as an active force in my life.

Well the point there is, for the most part you get to decide your morals on most subject. What's morally wrong with partying for example? Smoking is bad for your health and body, but is it morally wrong?

Being free is obviously way better than being in a false religion or cult. It sucks losing friends and family, but then you realize how conditional those friends and family were anyhow. But once you make unconditional friends on the outside, you will find yourself much happier than being given only a small handful of people to chose from to make friends with.

The real truth will stand up to any scrutiny.

What about the freedom to spend your free time like you like, like hobbies, or classes, college, etc. To me it's freedom not to have to go to meetings several times a week and sleep in on the weekends instead of service.

i was surprised that freedom was understood as the freedom to let loose and enjoy things that were not allowed before but i am 54 so that probably colours my opinion. i had always understood freedom outside the watchtower as a spiritual freedom. to me, it was a chance to seek out the truth without the mental blinkers of the watchtower limiting my vision. there was, i think, a very nasty interpretation of 'the truth shall set you free' when it really made people captives to the organisation. if you haven't already experienced freedom from the society in the ordinary sense of enjoying parties and meeting the opposite sex etc., the only thing i can think of is if you feel that you have been made into a tight spring about to be unsprung, mind yourself. life is made to be enjoyed. even solomon knew that. in the long run, though, i think we are here to try to understand things.

What about the freedom to spend your free time like you like, like hobbies, or classes, college, etc. To me it's freedom not to have to go to meetings several times a week and sleep in on the weekends instead of service.

Hallelujia! And to this day I REFUSE to wear dresses haha!

I really wish-I mean truly to this day, no offense to any of you, desire more than anything is to have the freedom to let go of this experience. This experience being, growing up as a JW until my late teens. I want to forget this ever happened and to discontinue any association of who I am now with what I used to be.
I no longer want to have my heart race when I hear someone say Jehovah's Witness.
I no longer want to cling tightly to atheist materials/ books and nihilistic dogma to help me recover from the abuse of a cult.
The freedom that I want is an absence of a past.

Well the point there is, for the most part you get to decide your morals on most subject. What's morally wrong with partying for example? Smoking is bad for your health and body, but is it morally wrong?

Being free is obviously way better than being in a false religion or cult. It sucks losing friends and family, but then you realize how conditional those friends and family were anyhow. But once you make unconditional friends on the outside, you will find yourself much happier than being given only a small handful of people to chose from to make friends with.

Well said Jeremy. Once an ex JW realizes that true friendships are unconditional outside the Borg, the fear and anxiety to dishonor friends and family on the inside that were once there become irrelevant to the individual. A free mind and spirit truly understands that the man made doctrines and cult mechanisms of the WBTS are controlling their loved ones to perpetuate this fear on them, and not by their own free will. The former JW who acknowledges this will truly have peace of mind and are the ones who are able to let go and move on at a faster rate with normal society.

Did you view the 'truth' as spiritually shackling you from what you really wanted to do?  What kind of freedom have you now got,  that you didn't have before?  What do you do with your freedom?  Are you truly happy?

Lies as well as Truth can shackle s person. One does harm, the other saves. You have always had the freedom to do what you wanted to do. We all did, but we let the fear of man dictate to us what was and was not acceptable.

Before I was a Witness, I partied, I drank, I got high, you name it, I probably did it. I met up with an old gangbanger friend of mine and he was a Witness. Most of the people I grew up with are either dead or in jail. Giving up the holidays wasn't a problem for me.

You asked about happiness, I don't think anyone is truly happy, content yes, happy? ah!

I'm married, have two beautiful children. It's not perfect, but we make it work.

As to my spirituality? I still believe in God, I don't believe in organized religion. When I left the Witnesses, I was involved in various Bible Student offshoots, served as an deacon, later an elder, sat on various committees, wrote articles for various journals, traveled and gave talks in Church and conventions. Lovely people, most of them, a few bad apples, but that is to be expected in any group you associate with.

Last year, I stepped down as elder and walked away. As I said, lovely people, I still believe, I just got tired of the politics.

I read my Bible daily, I still do personal study, I run several websites, forums and blogs, I keep myself busy.

I do what I want, when I want to, as long as I know I'm not breaking any commandments, I'm okay.

Life is what you make it out to be.

You can either choose to serve God, or not. You can affiliate yourself with a church or Bible study group or not. Just don't give yourself an ulcer over it.

I've been out of the Society for over 20 years, and it's still much, a very part of me. I had some good years there, and I had some bad ones too. That's life.

My wife and I walked away, and never looked back.

RR